Saturday, May 28, 2011

Review of Rex Ryan's book on Leadership

Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership in the World's Most Beautiful GamePlay Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership in the World's Most Beautiful Game by Rex Ryan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Because I am a part-time college football assistant coach, there are men out there who I keep an eye on in the profession. If they speak at a coaching clinic in the area, then I go. If they write a book or if something they've presented is available online then I check it out. Rex Ryan is one of those coaches I keep an eye on.

I have to say that my rating of "like it" is heavily influenced because I "liked it" going into it. It seems more of a specialty book, something a New York Jets fan or another coach would be interested in. It doesn't have the universal appeal of something by John Wooden.

That said, I came out of it learning something about him...at the very least I learned what he wanted us to know about him...and that is honesty. If what he says about himself is true, then he is a guy who I will continue to keep and eye on and listen to when he speaks. Not saying I'm genuflecting, I'm saying it is nice to have someone who speaks honestly, from the heart, and who doesn't remind me how much smarter he is than the rest of us.

Ryan comes across as a man with a lot of passion for what he does and who makes no excuses for his warts.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment