Friday, July 8, 2011

National Writing Project Day 8: Immersion in Respect

My contribution today is acknowledging the collegial respect demonstrated at our workshop.

We all know that teachers teaching teachers can sometimes be an intimidating prospect.  I've heard colleagues comment even jokingly that teachers can sometimes make some of the worst-behaved students.

Have you ever been in a faculty meeting where rude behavior went unchecked?  Have you ever worked anywhere where cliques developed and colleagues fall prey to judgment and the earnest construction of walls to protect the fifedom of their room or hall?

This is not the case here and I do not think that that can go by unnoticed.

If you read anything about the founding of the NWP or its continued development of leadership,  you find that one of the seminal principles is affording teachers the time to immerse themselves in...reading? (yes) ...writing? (yes) ...conferring? (yes) ...but more to my point, immersion in respect.

So this is what respect feels like...

So this is what being trusted with time feels like...

These tenets of what should be the foundation of all schools, "ain't" always so across the nation.  Just read the news, you may not have to look too far.

I just want to say that I appreciate the foundation of respect found in our PAWLP workshop, and it has been a pleasure getting know different people and all of the unique perspectives and talent we bring to the group.

Hopefully, we can all take this with us and lay the balm of respect on our own families, colleagues, and classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,
    I've been following your blog ever since I found where you signed the guest book on the e-anthology. You see, I'm in the Central Utah Writing Project Summer Institute. I wanted you to know that we are experiencing the same respectful atmosphere in the west too. I keep thinking a clique will form or something equally juvenile, but we are having the best time! Getting to know each other, writing, reading, discussing, demonstrating, debriefing. It's been incredible.
    Anyway, you have a great blog, and I'm happy you are enjoying your SI as much as we are in UT.
    Rena
    www.prose-spective.blogspot.com (Today's blog post is on some zombie haiku that we wrote today. good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rena! I expected that it would be the same or similar elsewhere. I guess there is a reason the model has worked since the mid-70s.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete