Instead of dipping into a book on creative writing I thought I'd pull one of my favorite books off the shelf--John Wooden's book of observations. This is such a great little book for teachers or coaches. These five questions come from sections he labels as life's puzzlers...great for self-reflection and discussion after some free writing.
1. Why is it so difficult to realize that others are more likely to listen to us if first we listen to them?
2. Why is it so much easier to be negative than positive?
3. Why can't we realize that it only weakens those we want to help when we do things for them that they should do for themselves?
4. Why is it so much easier to complain about the things we do not have than to make the most of and appreciate the things we do have?
5. Why does the person with the least to say take the longest to say it?